1 Of the following spices, which has been shown to have the highest anti-inflammatory capacity?
According to a novel 2012 study, cloves, ginger, rosemary and turmeric significantly reduced markers of systemic inflammation. Ginger lowered three different biomarkers, suggesting its superior anti-inflammatory action, but rosemary and turmeric also offered potent protection against inflammation and oxidative damage. Learn more.
2 According to recent research, water fluoridation:
- Has halved the incidence of dental caries in the U.S. in the past decade
- When consumed during pregnancy prevents future dental caries in the offspring
- When consumed during infancy prevents future dental caries
- When consumed during pregnancy lowers IQ in the offspring
A recent U.S. and Canadian government-funded observational study found that drinking fluoridated water during pregnancy lowers IQ in the offspring. Learn more.
3 What are nurdles?
- Virgin plastic — tiny plastic pellets that form the raw material for plastic products
Nurdles are a key plastic pollutant — tiny plastic pellets that form the raw material for plastic products of all kinds. Learn more.
- A type of pygmy turtle
- Slang word that describes successful people who are easygoing and see “no hurdles”
- Noodles made from seaweed
4 Which of the following has been linked to an increased risk for high blood pressure, heart disease and stroke?
- Daily exercise, exceeding two hours per day
- Frequent or chronic insomnia
Frequent or chronic insomnia is associated with an increased risk of high blood pressure, subclinical atherosclerosis, heart disease and stroke. Learn more.
- Sleeping more than seven hours a night
- Walking barefoot more than seven hours a week
5 Watercress grows best
- in dry, sunny conditions and rich, fertile soil.
- in moist soil and cool, shady conditions.
- near cool, flowing streams, in moist containers and sunny conditions.
Watercress grows best near cool, flowing streams, in moist containers and sunny conditions. Learn more.
- in sandy soil, sunny conditions, with afternoon shade.
6 How many hectares of land make up the Hinewai Reserve?
The Hinewai Reserve aims to promote the natural regeneration of native vegetation and wildlife on about 1,500 (3,706 acres) hectares of land in the south-eastern corner of Banks Peninsula on the South Island’s east coast. Learn more.
7 How much can you expect to pay for an ambulance transport in the U.S.?
- Tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars
A particularly egregious example of predatory pricing in U.S. health care is that of ambulance transport. Unless you’re seriously injured, consider taking an Uber to the hospital as the bill for an ambulance transport can run into the thousands. For helicopter transport, it could be as high as half a million dollars. Learn more.
- $5,000 to 10,000
- Less than $5,000
- Nothing, it is covered as part of the service